Sunday, January 20, 2008

Island adventures

The last three days have been pretty adventurous. On Wednesday we started with some whale sightings out the window. I got out the binoculars and watched them flip, flop, dive and smack various flippery parts on the water. We spent an appropriate amount of time sitting around doing nothing, reading, Then Sue and I hit up the lighthouse in Kilauea (view from lighthouse walk at left) as well as checked out the little shops in the area.

For lunch we returned to our favorite Fish Taco place and enjoyed ourselves (Irv as well) another yummy beachside meal (see right).

After that we vegged at home (I may have skipped out for a run, taken a nap, or both) and then made sure to head to the beach to see the sunset where Sue reports having seen the famous green flash once. The rotation of the earth meant the sun was a bit off center and given the cloudy weather we have been having it was hopeful to even see the sun but its rays were cooperative and lit the sky pinks, oranges and purples before it melted away into the pacific.

Thursday was our Big Adventure. We got up early and piled in the car to see the rest of Kauai. Kauai is inhabited mostly on the shorelines as mountains make up most the interior of the island. There is really only one main road and it makes a horseshoe shape around most the island (map at left, click on it to see detail). Sue and Irv live in Princeville, one almost the end of the eastern part of the U, our trip was to go all the way to the other side, where you can wind your way into the mountains enough to see the untouched wilderness. On the way out, near Hanapepe, we stopped at the tiniest little shack with the door ajar. Sue was excited to get her potato chips, I was a bit nervous she had the wrong place, but we slipped in the kitchen and there was a grumpy middle aged guy cooking up all sorts of yummy snacks, bagging them, and watching the soap operas. For myself, I got sweet potato chips, sliced as thin as paper, spiced with garlic.

On our journey we drove past two lovely waterfalls, each spectacular in their own way and many hours later we found ourselves at the end of the road where we turned off to admire Waimea Canyon. The drive was a bit treacherous and wound up and around the mountains. We explored the various nooks, crannies and outlooks there much to Irv’s dismay (“Once you’ve seen one waterfall you’ve seen them all. What’s the big deal?” Irv laughed). But he was good-natured and humored both me and Sue who agreed (since we did spend the numerous hours driving out there, and up the mountain) we’d make the most of it. There were a number of tourists at each stop and people found the wild chickens and roosters cute. Sue, however, likened them to rats. They used to be on farms until hurricane Iniki wiped out the entire island and freed them to procreate, cluck and crow to their heart’s content. Now they are everywhere. Literally. Even, we noted, at the local Costco.

On the way back from the canyon we stopped at a lovely music store where I bought a soprano ukulele. I had gotten a baritone uke for my mom way back in the day and taught myself to play it. I thought, since I do fancy musical instruments from around the world, a uke from Hawaii would be appropriate to add to my collection. We also stopped at a coffee plantation and on Poipu beach, a busier and more tourist friendly beach – probably because of its location on the sunnier side of the island and it’s protected shallow waters where toddlers are safe to wade. (pic at right taken while driving around the island).

We also stopped at a shopping center in the area that served Puka Dogs (click on picture at left to see the menu). These are hotdogs made in a special Kauai way (though it appears they now have a store on Waikiki beach in Honolulu). The buns are roasted on spires – the spires make holes for the dugs. The dogs are dressed in various spicy “secret sauces” and then dressed with exotic relishes like coconut, mango, and papaya. It was delicious and I ate mine while watching a staged Tahitian/Polynesian cultural show.

On the way home we saw one last sight – spouting horn. Where the waves crash under a lava shore and then growl like an animal before they spout up to tens of feet in the air.

Friday was much less structured. My goal was to populate my freckle colony with some sun exposure. Unfortunately a rain cloud seemed to be following me around the island. I did get up before dawn and go with sue to find some seashells - found some spectacular ones that I’ll be bringing back with me. Aside from that, my productivity was resigned to pool sitting, beach bumming (albeit mostly in my sweatshirt) and exploring a bit of Hanalei’s shops after a yummy dinner out (goat cheese and fried eggplant salad – yum!). Oh! And I can't forget Shave Ice! The best place (according to Sue) is in Hanalei. I, of course, got a picture of that treat but you'll have to wait until the next entry to see that delight.

Today is my last day. As I look out the window it is again rather cloudy with a low ceiling and some scattered rain. I can’t remember, but I feel like low ceilings are the ones that burn off easier. I can only hope. Either way, it is still nice to be on vacation and away from the rigors of internship. And it’s been great traveling to a new place. All I can do is think about when I can do it again and where on earth will I head to next? (photo at left of late evening sun at Spouting Horn lookout).


Stayed tuned for a last entry on Kauai in the next few days.... now I'm off to see if I can spot a rainbow and drink my toasted coconut Kona coffee!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home