Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Honeymoon over

So I was loving pediatrics. Not that anything has actually changed, but, like I've said before, even if you like doing something, doing it too much can kinda kill the joy.

The last two weeks have been busy, with long hours. Most regular days have been about 13 hours long. Sometimes 12, on one occasion, 11. Calls have been busy, hard, intense. On my last call I admitted 5 patients between 9 PM and 3 AM. What doesn't help the feeling of pediatric saturation is the fact that my precious golden weekend was almost entirely spent on my bathroom floor barfing, and the following several days I was barely strong enough to stand.

Last week: Monday: 16 hours, Tuesday: 12, Wednesday: 11 (woo!), Thursday: 14, Friday/Sat: 32. Grand total of 85 hours (correct me if my math is off).

The good news is, I have found something awesome for my few hours of spare time here and there. Randomly, I ran into a girl in my building who has a horse and not enough time to ride it. And, hey! I'm a rider without a horse! It was an arrangement that met both our needs. Total mutual awesomeness. I can't even begin to emphasize what a great coincidence it was that I ran into her. I had just happened to get on the elevator wearing a horse shirt and it all just... happened. The horse's name is Shiloh and she's kept out in Gig Harbor (a 20 minute drive and $3 toll bridge). She's a adorable, very sweet, good ground manners, speedy as all get-out and pictured at left (took that with my phone today). My goal is to try and get out and ride her on the 11 and 12 hour days, when I have a few hours before having to go to bed. It really is making my 80+ work weeks a little more bearable. It's better than drugs, therapy, massages, beaches and just about anything except a day off to do it even more.

Today, sadly, was my last day off for two weeks. I grocery shopped, rode Shiloh, took out the trash, did my laundry and cooked like a fiend. I made hummus, black bean soup and lasagna to hopefully last the two weeks. Now, I buckle down and watch time fly... hopefully.

Oh, and as an aside. Also a random coincidence. As soon as I find out about Shiloh we start admitting kids with organ damage (lacerations of livers, spleens and kidneys) from horse accidents. No kidding. We've had three in the last week. Thankfully, aside from being a bit grouchy when it comes to cinching the girth, Shiloh has been a perfect doll!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home