Wednesday, March 26, 2008

So long sterile field

Surgery
It's my last week of surgery. I'm certainly not broken up about it. I still find the OR unpleasant but I've learned a bit in the last month. I've found if I wear my glasses instead of a face shield I can battle my claustrophobia. I have learned to assist the surgeon much more efficiently. I have also learned to sew a bit better. The latter may be the only skill translated to my future career. However, assisting in the OR will come in handy as a resident - especially on our two month long R2 OB rotation where we are the first assist available for C-sections. However, I still strongly dislike the sterile field. I still find the OR demeaning to patients who are laid out naked, asleep, like broken toys with various parts taped, exposed, twisted, lifted, whatever suits the surgeon's needs. It was especially bothersome on this rotation as all my patients were children. I'll spare my readers the details.

On a positive note, I have learned more about surgical diagnoses. And I have felt many a hernia and feel more comfortable knowing when a referral to surgery is warranted. I also realize how glad I am that I didn't pursue a career in surgery. If I wish, I can use my newly honed surgical prowess to play this game - and that's enough for me.

This Friday, after my last morning in the OR, repairing hernia after hernia after hernia after hernia I take call for TFM overnight. Post-call on Saturday I hit up the Tacoma Ballet. Then I start orthopedic surgery on Monday. Most of my days will be spent at a nearby army base. The rotation has not had the most favorable reviews but I'll surely make my own opinion. I wonder how well my rainbow, anti-W, stickered car will go over on the base parking lot.

Oh, and bonus material: I bitched about my flight back from Houston but never got around to posting it. I got a bit caught up in my carrot soup adventure (am still, days later, finding orange-yellow splotches to clean in the kitchen!)

Bush Airport (figures.)

My flight home from Houston was a disaster. I spent 4.5 hours at the airport being jostled, stepped on, pushed around by crowds. Everything was so busy it reminded me of Boston airport at Thanksgiving (talk about chaos!). The best part? I had a joy of being notified every half hour the status of my flight, which, each time, was deferred until the next half hour. This occurred until I was no longer to make any connecting flights and looked like I would be spending the night in Houston or Portland, maybe even on my own dime.

I ultimately found, on my own, a flight leaving for Seattle within an hour or so. I lugged my crap to the gate to see if there were flight attendants there yet. No such luck. So I was forced to head back to the customer service center and wait with other frustrated customers. Thankfully, my last trip there (there had been three altogether) I was helped by a woman who was actually nice and helpful! Go figure! I was booked on a direct flight to Seattle and just had to wait and make sure it boarded, taxied and left Houston. But, by this point, I was much more optimistic.


Wild Ride
I ended up with the "last seat" on the plane. A woman was with two small children next to me. I had the middle seat and she offered me the aisle (either that or sit between her children). I served as a changing table, consoler, formula mixer, formula tester (inadvertently - ended up burned by hot water and with formula all over my clothes). But I was so happy to be on that plane I would have breast fed if she asked me to!

The flight was terribly turbulent. We were forced to stay in our seats a majority of the flight (thus my supporting role as a changing table). Even the flight attendants were asked to take their seats on occasions. Apparently a man a few rows ahead of us was "having a nervous breakdown" a flustered flight attendant informed my adult row-mate in response to her pressed call light. The real treat of the flight was when a young man a row behind and across the aisle sneezed a wad of phlegm onto the left side of my face. I've had worse (remember my first month on OB?) but that was just uncalled for. Cover your mouth you germ-spreader, you!

I ended up back in Tacoma very late and so completely exhausted I fell asleep with my clothes still on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home