Sunday, April 13, 2008

Paradorama


Daffodil festival was lovely. The parade lasted 2 sunny hours. And it didn't disappoint. As with every Tacoma event there were Pirates. Hoards of them. With big booming cannons, to boot.

There were dozens of marching bands, flag corps, dance squads, clowns and, crucial to every parade, Shriners.

I found myself at a little Detroit-like corner (complete with abandoned buildings) that was sunny and a bit less overwhelmed with people. I took pictures of lots of princesses, queens, clowns, acrobats, bikers, floats advertising various other festivals, fairs, events and much ,much more.


I started to feel a little giddy when I realized we are launching again into fair season, with the Puyallup fair next week and the Strawberry festival around the corner.

I'm glad I was able to make this event. It appears to me to be the biggest event Tacoma has held so far (at least in the 10 months I've lived here - although I was on call and thus missed the 4th of July festival). I'm sure their 75 years of experience in holding this parade helps. It was great seeing so many people out on the town. The snow on the mountains was glowing today and the water looked extra blue. A few pals of mine hit the slopes for some snowboarding and one said she's never seen it so busy. Amazing what a little sunshine does to transform this part of the country. From bleak to bustling in just one day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home