Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Seasons Change

"Winter":


"Spring" (view from my living room couch) or, "Why I don't watch so much TV":



And of course, there's Mt. Rainier. Looming like a ghost over Tacoma. This picture was taken a block from my apartment after walking back from the Daffodil Parade.

Today it is about as dreary as it comes, no rain yet no sucker holes to be found (sucker holes: the blue patches of sky that fool you into thinking it might clear up).

I should leave for Madigan soon. Go hang out and maybe get to cast some broken bones today. It's so hard to get motivated when the sun isn't shining, I have to admit. Although, it's also hard to be cooped up inside working when the sun is shining. Such a dilemma. This week I have the usual out-patient workload with an additional trip up to UW to teach first and second year medical students about joint exams. I apparently have been assigned the ankle, that mysterious complicated joint. The foot and ankle combined have: 26 bones, 33 joints, more than 100 muscles, tendons, ligaments, and of course all the blood vessels, nerves, skin, and soft tissue. The ankle itself is really just four of those bones (hooray for me and the medstudents who have to learn from me!) but there are still lots of tendons, ligaments and muscles to go over. If I had to pick a favorite joint I'd have to pick the knee. Sure, it's popular, sure it's sexy. Perhaps it's like a 14 year old saying Orlando Bloom is her favorite actor. But I still think it's a great joint. I won't wax poetic about it, but it is a rather fun joint to examine. Unfortunately, when joints go bad, there's not a lot we can do that works. We can inject, scope, do physical therapy, and with some joints (really, only the knee and hip) we can replace. But, in the end, there is no replacement that's as good as the original (case in point: Julia Ormond is fine but she was no Audrey Hepburn in the Sabrina re-make).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home