Sunday, March 09, 2008

Stitch in Time

Okay, okay... I don't hate surgery as much as I thought. I most certainly would NOT chose orifice-bound red hot pokers over this.

I don't love it, either, but I'm definitely getting some more technical skills from this rotation already. A full week and nearly dozen surgeries later I can stitch a wound closed and actually have it look kinda decent. I even intubated a 7 year old without much difficulty - wasn't even nervous. Granted, I used an LMA, so intubation might be a generous term for it, but it still felt like I did something. (LMA = Laryngeal Mask Airway, so easy to place that the 7 year old probably could have intubated himself if he was awake).

And, surprisingly, that's all I have to say about surgery. I still haven't been yelled at, demeaned, or treated like dirt. There's still three weeks so I'm not holding my breath.

However, I have been scutted out on several occasions. I just keep reminding myself that I'm an intern, a lowly intern, and I'm supposed to scut. Scutting, sadly, is my expertise. And while it's a bit frustrating being ordered to do remedial, often secretarial-type things with no educational value on patients I have had no interaction with, just because it makes someone else's life easier, or lets them eat lunch a few minutes earlier, it is only during training. (Photo from Michelle Au's Scutmonkey comics.)

The real question is, when I'm no longer a resident and am out in the real world, will I look back and pretend it had educational value and convince myself it's okay to train my own scut-monkeys? I'm afraid that answer may be yes. Philosophically speaking, we get ourselves through some rougher times knowing it'll be over at some point. But in reality, it'll just be over because someone else will be doing it instead of us.

Enough philosophy. I'm on surgery. Grunt grunt. No deep thoughts allowed.

My new computer is sweet, by the way. Mac's rule and my Macbook Pro is no exception. When I got it I thought it was cool that while it's got a bigger screen, it's much thinner and lighter than my old 2004 iBook. I also thought it was neat to actually see letters on the keyboard since mine had long since worn off. And that was all before I even turned it on! The picture at left is a Macbook Pro in 24-carat gold with diamonds on the apple logo. Not exactly what I'm typing on at the moment, but it sure feels like it. Below is a video of my old computer and its Death Screen - the best imaging I can seem to get when my computer is at just the right angle. Sive also co-stars as herself.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home