Monday, June 18, 2007

First Day

Well - here it is. The first day of internship. Granted, I have orientation for a week or so before I interact with real live patients. Nonetheless, I'm excited.

Yesterday was very relaxing. I skipped out on Pride as it was cold and rainy and I didn't feel up to dodging raindrops at a street fair. Nothing is more depressing than soggy drag queens anyway. Sive and I curled on the couch and cat napped (ha!). In the early afternoon I received a call from the Vet that Sive's labs came back looking good! So the two of us celebrated by then snuggling on the couch some more and watching TV (she wanted to watch Lifetime, I wanted to watch Spike, we compromised and watched USA).

Ultimately I cleaned more, organized more, bought tons of groceries, made a turkey Manwich (a craving I've never had before but was shopping hungry - my obvious fault. Manwiches are kinda gross). I also made the famous "Gerry's Meatloaf" That my mother and I learned about from Torontoite, Gerry, on our Turtle Trip to Saint Croix. It freezes well and I figure will be appreciated post call and after long days on OB. I feel better now that all the raw meat has been cooked in my house.

Tonight I will debate making either black bean soup or Suhani's Lasagna. Both of those should freeze well also. However, I hear rumor of a potluck at some point next weekend and both of those would also be great potluck dishes.

So have I resorted to boring domesticity? Cat, couch and meatloaf? I don't think so. This time next week (or, rather, time time next week probably after a few days of various certifications in life support for various populations) I will be delivering babies.

I got the hang of delivering placentas as an M3. I held a bladder blade during c-sections like a champ. Now I will be catching monitoring fetal heart tomes, stitching up tears and opening uteri like butternut squash. The actual catching of the baby is the "easy" part. I have so much to learn in the field of OB.

For now, however, my biggest concern is what to wear for picture day.

Summary: Cat healthy, Pride skipped, fridge full of meatloaf, starting with obstetrics next week. More later on my new co-interns.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home