Saturday, September 23, 2006

All about teeth

Dental clinic all morning. Was really enlightening. I learned about the four most important reasons to refer to dentistry (FYI for my medstud friends, we know some of this but it's always a good review). 1. Before starting bisphosphonates (can cause bone necrosis and must do all dental work before starting the meds). 2. In the first trimester of pregnancy (for several reasons). 3. Before heart surgery (if possible). 4. Before starting chemo (which sounds really obvious but I never even thought of it.). I got to see lots of procedures. I saw a tooth extraction, multiple cavities filled, a couple of root canals, some diabetic dental care, cleanings… I got used to the drill sound and actually think I've conquered some fear of the dentist! The root canals, I have to say, was pretty neat. (photo of me on call yesterday)

The second half of the day I worked through “check out”, turning in my badge, making sure there weren't any loose ends on my notes. I said goodbye to everyone. I'll miss a lot of people here. Some folks made me promise I'd come back in residency. I think that would be an excellent idea. I'm going to miss New Mexico, Zuni, Zuni Hospital and the freedom I've felt this last month. (photo of Abbey, the instigator for all the barking - possibly part coyote?)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home