Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Killer sunset you'll never see


(more pics from my hike here, too) Had Zuni home visits in the morning. One patient was a baby with an illness that is rather common among Ashkenazi but not so much here, especially here in the southwest. The parents appear to be doing the best they can but are thinking about moving north so they can find doctors who are more comfortable handling their baby's illness and where they don't have to remind the nurses how to handle the baby's treatments, etc. Saw other patients for wound care and the like. Scleroderma in one older lady. I'm always impressed how Scleroderma has such power to shape the face into that tight mask, making so many of its victims look alike, regardless of their ethnicity. The homes we visited were a lot like Big Al's. In fact, one patient was next door to Big Al's mother's house. As we passed, the nurse who I was going on the home visits with pointed to that house and said, “that's where we had a homicide a couple weeks ago”. I realize she was referring to the stabbing I talked about in one of my first posts. And I remember Big Al pointing out a couple of children running around. I had asked him if they were his and he said, “No, their father was killed recently.”

On a better note, I finished my chart review! All data from all 50 charts compiled. It only took me about 12 hours or so to collect the data (with some distractions in there, too). Now I need to make something of it and prepare some recommendations. But the data appears to look just like my preceptor and I thought it would, with mammograms and paps being much more common than CRC screening.

On the way here, to Gallup where I'm writing now, I saw THE MOST INCREDIBLE SUNSET! I can't even begin to describe it. There was a storm between me and the horizon that was lighting up with such bright hot pinks, reds, oranges, with some gapes in the cloud cover shooting colored light. The sun was a bright orange ball. I forgot to bring my camera of course. It was probably one of the most spectacular sunsets I've seen and I actually had to pull over on the side of the road. I took a picture with my camera phone but it doesn't do it any kind of justice.

I also have another housesitting gig my last week. A place with five dogs, two cats and two ducks. Plus satellite TV and wireless internet. My kind of place. The homeowners asked me what I wanted them to stock up on for me to eat while I'm there. Isn't that sweet? I refused and they insisted. So I said frosted miniwheats, chocolate, lots of dairy stuff, eggs and bacon!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home