Thursday, February 19, 2009

Viva Vegas Vacation

I started this blog entry in my PJ's before heading of to Vegas. I think it was the chill of my apartment and the need to keep my fingers moving to prevent them from becoming little fingersicles. I wrote about a nightmare I had. Family Practice was suddenly no longer a viable specialty. They were going to shuttle us all to either Obstetrics or Medicine-Pediatrics. It was part of Obama's restructuring of health care. I thought it was a horrible idea. Some thought it was genius. Suddenly, here I was, more than half way through my second year, closer to graduation than the start of it all and I didn't have a job! All those years of medical school, the "fun" of the last 20 months, for nothing. I don't know what brought it on. All things considered, it wasn't all that terrifying. It certainly was less so than the nightmares I'd been having about my building falling over.

Nightmares aside, here I am in Las Vegas! The sun has been out each day, the weather in the 60s. No poolside lounging for me, but I have explored the strip. There is so much going on all the time here. Even for someone who doesn't really drink and doesn't enjoy gambling there is a lot of fun to be had! My poor companion is battling a nasty head cold so we turned in early tonight but today was pretty busy.

Our Day:

  • Big breakfast bright and early. I had eggs Benedict with salmon instead of ham and fruit instead of hashbrowns!
  • Then nearly four hours exploring - our own Flamingo, Bellagio, Venetian, a few other places, some interesting people watching.
  • Back to the hotel for a break - supposedly for a nap but we wound up messing around on my computer instead.
  • Then another exploring trek. We checked out Planet Hollywood and Paris.
  • Late lunch/early dinner in the old Aladdin desert walkway (or whatever it's called now): Mussels and ahi tuna salad (we tried Todai but it was closed between lunch and dinner so we ate at another place)
  • At the restaurant we met a nice local lady who surprised us by paying for our lunch! Then helped us shop at the Betty Page store where I tried on 5 dresses and loved them all!
  • Next we caught a few shows at the Bellagio fountain
  • Then we went on a wild goose chase trying to find these caramel apples we swore we saw at the Bellagio but couldn't find again, gave up and came home for the night.

Tomorrow maybe we'll make it to Todai for lunch and find those caramel apples. Maybe we'll take a ride on a gondola and maybe we'll see a Vegas show, preferably one with impersonators - Elvis impersonators. And maybe we'll hang out in the sun, by the pool, in sweaters, seeing if our exposed skin can help us get enough vitamin D to bring back to our cloudy homesteads. (Our bathroom, by the way, above!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home