Saturday, October 18, 2008

Weekend on Whidby

The weekend I spent on Whidbey Island with my father was fabulous. I was thankfully able to swap out my weekend of back-up to have the freedom to roam off of TFM boundaries. I even turned my pager off. Our ferry landed in Clinton, we stayed both nights in Langley and also visited Useless Bay and Coupeville.

As my Dad put it, we "ate our way though Whibey Island". The highlights of the weekend were:
1. The Food - Penn Cove Mussels in Penn Cove, the most incredible chocolate mousse in a a chocolate tulip (pictured), the most amazing caramelized kettle corn from the farmers market and a tasty salmon omelet breakfast are just a few highlights.

2. The Digs - A gorgeous two story beachside residence with a to-die-for panoramic view of the water. Warm, cozy, with a gas fireplace and flat screen TV. Luxurious down comforters and a pile of pillows I could get lost in.

3. The sunrises. See picture, taken from our window.

4. The beaches. Each with their own smooth volcanic skipping stones, bleached driftwood, washed up jelly fish, views of cliffs, mountains.

And there was so much more... It was peaceful and restful. The weather was cooperative all day Saturday (though certainly brisk - great hot chocolate weather). The place we stayed in Langley was called the Boatyard Inn. Check it out.

We rounded off the weekend with a nice dinner with the Seattle cousins and then it was back to work on Monday for me. Amazingly I was able to have some breakfast with Dad before he head off on Tuesday morning and we had the BEST Tacoma breakfast ever at Southern Kitchen. Definitely a place I'll have to return to. The fried catfish breakfast looked incredible but I had to have the cornmeal pancakes. I won't even get started on their famous beverages. Click on the link above for a great review.

As when family usually visits I had a bit of a low afterwards. Thankfully I had band practice and Shilo planned Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. A difficult call on Thursday (thanks to our new live in-patient electronic medical records) and a busy workday today rounded up the week and here I am back in action. I have my concert tomorrow with the Rainbow City Band. I'm a little nervous. The woman sitting next to me in the trumpet section said that she thinks we sound the worst we have ever sounded at a dress rehearsal... but you know what they say about bad dress rehearsals, right? Of course I have invited everyone and their mother. A couple of my resident friends, Shilo's mom and my faculty advisor plan to be there if they can make it. Hopefully we won't suck too badly.

On a side note, today a clinic patient about 10 years older than me exclaimed as I was introduced: "A doctor! But she's a kid!" I'm flattered that to some people I look half my age, but it gets tiresome. Maybe I should spend more time in the sun and get more wrinkles, of course skin cancer isn't fun either. I actually had one patient say to me "You don't look old enough to be qualified to be a doctor!" Qualified? Even Doogie was qualified. Hm. I should start thinking of ways this may work to my advantage... maybe people will sue me less than other doctors because they think I'm so young?

So I'll leave this lengthy post with that last reflection and this hilarious pictures of cat "costumes" Pet Smart tried to market to me.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, your stay on Whidbey sounds like my idea of heaven. Lucky dog! I was hoping I'd see you made it to Joe Biden's appearance, but you must have been busy...or did I miss the date and this all happened in a distance past...

Well, thanks for the post. Cheers!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home