Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Back in Bangkok

Hello everyone. I'm overdue for some posting and will hopefully have the internet access and tools to post the last five days but thought I'd at least catch everyone up to where I am and what's going on.

I left Melbourne yesterday (the 26th) and am now back in Bangkok until my departure back to the States. I arrived without much trouble to Big john's Backpacker's somethingorother (Hostel?). I was so happy (read: tired) to arrive I unpacked, bought some water at the 24h eatery and bar on the first floor and got ready for bed. Then the partying began. My room was on the mezzanine which looked out over the pool tables, beer drinkers and was adjacent to the speakers playing loud Western bar music. I ear-plugged, tossed, turned, and finally asked them to at least turn down the music. they did and i managed a couple hours of sleep... until more people came in off the street and the party really started. At this point i decided I would try and ask if there was another room I could have. My room is now situated up five flights of stairs (the Bangkok heat and humidity increasing markedly which each flight), out onto the roof, and behind a slated door. But the AC in the room works well, the only noises up there are traffic and the hum of the AC units (which is much more peaceful than techno-remix-Cher, AC/DC and Smashmouth) and it has an amazing view. It was hell moving everything up, sweating like a heffer, at 4 AM, but I slept well in the AC'ed room, curled peacefully (finally) in my sagging mattress for another restful few hours.

Today I am enjoying the r's: rest, relaxation, reading. I will hopefully explore the city a little tonight. The best part of being here in this frathouse-like establishment is that I may having willing accomplices to share cab fares and brave the markets. But I have learned an important lesson, I am getting too hold for hostels.

More later I hope. Worse case, I can post from the airport prior to my departure. I've been asked to keep blogging when I get back to the US, but blogging about the mundane never seems as appealing... but with The Match approaching and a possible move maybe things won't be mundane for some time after all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lizzie B....bummer about the hostel, I hope you get a better nights sleep tonight!!

Missing you already!

'Pan's Labrynth' won a few Oscars and so did 'The Departed'...tell you more later.

Talk soon

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home